The following list is to the best of my ability a list of 11 books (since we are going into 2011) in no particular order that after reading caused some kind of significant type of change in my life. I will not address the change in this blog, that may be another one some time down the line, but for now, this is just the list of books. Lastly, I can say about each one of these books is that God used them at some particular place and time in my life to not just inspire me…but IMPACT me significantly. Let’s begin…
1.Choosing to cheat by Andy Stanley. This is a book that even though it is small, pound for pound is maybe one of the largest. I give this book away all the time as a must read!
2. The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership by John Maxwell. This book just amazes me on the depth and the expansion of how much leadership evolves around these 21 timeless principles.
3. 7 Practices of Effective Ministry by Andy Stanley. Here was a book I couldn’t help thinking “Why couldn’t I have made it this simple and wrote this book?” This was a book that helped to really question how I organized things and ran them plus a whole lot more.
4. Leadership Challenge by Kouzes and Posner. This is just an all around great book on Leadership. A definite must read.
5. Jesus, CEO by Laurie Beth Jones. She has a way of writing that just keeps you involved and busy highlighting or marking up the book the whole time.
6. What got you here wont get you there by Marshall Goldsmith. There were a couple items he talked about that just really made me laugh at myself then cry that I was actually a leader who had done what he talked about. It challenged me to not rest on past success but strive for all that God has for me.
7. The Way Were Working Isn’t Working by Tony Schwartz. This book challenged my personal ways of being a workaholic and wrong priorities. To stop pushing to achieve more and more in less time and with fewer resources; rejuvenation and how rest are necessary for creative breakthroughs and broader perspectives.
8. Thinking for a Change by John Maxwell. As I was preparing my list for this blog I was looking over books in my shelves and this is one of those books that I almost thought that John must have written in highlighter. I truly enjoyed this book.
9. The Effective Executive by Peter Drucker. Do I really need to say anything else beside it is a book by Peter Drucker.
10. Courageous Leadership by Bill Hybels. Here is a book that is just a great read for anyone in leadership.
11. Who Moved My Cheese by Spencer Johnson. This is one of those smaller books but has great things to say about change.
There it is, 11 books that for me caused some specific significant change in my life after reading. For those of you really spiritual ones out there saying how could I not include the Bible? For me that is just a give me that the Bible always takes first place. I also tried to not give any books that were just for children’s ministry, I will be doing a post later on that. I can also say if I had a list of 20 instead of 11 I could have filled that as well. This is not to be an all inclusive list, but a list full of books that I think are great reads for anyone with a desire to be more.