As each one of my coaching students will tell you, I truly believe in living S.M.A.R.T. This is not something that I created (this honor goes to The first known uses of the term back in November 1981 issue of Management Review by George T. Doran) but a process that I believe completely in.
Here is a basic list of steps I work through to make sure that I hit my targets and that they don’t just stay good intentions. There are some extra things in here but the basis of these steps are all S.M.A.R.T.
1. Identify and write down goals?
2. List the benefits? What will I gain by reaching this goal — what’s in it for me? Concentrate on your benefits, not the problems that might be there.
3. Identify obstacles which may need to be overcome in order to reach each one of those goals. You see, if there were no obstacles, you’d already have everything you wanted.
4. Identify the skills and knowledge required to reach each one of these goals.
5. Who are the people, the groups, the companies and organizations you need to work with in order to get there?
6. You need to develop a specific plan of action to reach this goal. Too many people go to work every day without a specific goal. They live their lives without specific goals; that’s why this is so important.
7. The last step: Set the date you want to reach that goal.
Now after reading this maybe there are ways you too can find to live a little S.M.A.R.Ter?